Head of Software Engineering
We’re looking for a hands-on Head of Software Engineering to join an ambitious software company working to improve the efficiency of our beloved NHS through intuitive scheduling software. As an experienced leader who still loves to code, you will play a pivotal role in taking our company to the next level by helping us double our dev team from 8 to 16 heads working in remote positions in both the UK and overseas.
As Head of Engineering, you would be joining at a key point in our growth, when we are on the verge of significant financial investment and expansion. With web applications, mobile applications and an intelligent scheduling engine all forming a part of the unique offering, this represents an opportunity like no other. You will join a small yet established, proven and secure business with Government backing that has the ambition and drive of a new startup.
Based in Manchester this is a remote-first role, but we do require a UK based candidate who would pass BS7858 background screening who is comfortable and able to visit NHS sites when required.
As Head of Engineering you will be expected to;
- Lead a team by example, practising good habits, techniques, coding practices, earning the respect of your team.
- Direct the technical stack – mostly written in Ruby on Rails at present but we are open to new technology.
- Head up the recruitment of the engineering team – you will have previously recruited and built a team.
- Identify areas of improvement within the system and its strategic direction – there is a lot of optimisation work to be done, our data model needs remodelling to help drive forward much of the planned work.
- Mentor less experienced engineers and share knowledge often with your team to encourage continuous growth and development.
- Be a great communicator, possessing the ability to converse with both technical and non-technical people – communication is an essential part of teamwork.
- Be responsible for maintaining and reviewing the security of their information assets and participate in risk assessments. As we are in Healthtech, we care about security and data.
How we do things
- We look to increase collaboration and engagement – experimenting with longer development cycles with time between to focus on personal development (fixing stuff that’s been bugging you, scratching that itch and updating processes etc).
- We are a remote-first company with flexible working hours and work asynchronously – all of our tooling support this; however, we do like to catch up with regular video calls with all engineers.
- We don’t want quick and dirty fixes, but solid decent code. We spend a lot of time defining the problem, not just jumping into a solution. Projects are collaborative pieces of work between different teams across the company.
- We mostly develop in pairs, practising TDD, and all work is peer-reviewed.
- We encourage everyone to work at a pace that is sustainable and healthy.
Essentially, there is a huge opportunity here for someone who is passionate, patient and looking for a new challenge to really make a difference and work on some very important and exciting projects. If you are an aspirational Lead Developer or Senior Software Engineer looking for a leadership and strategic role, we want to hear from you.
Salary: £50,000 to £80,000 depending on experience.
If you think this job is for you, send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.